Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Have Yourself A {Wicked} Little Christmas!!!

Lemme explain...

My mother has been wanting to see Wicked ever since Gailon and I went to see it. She was a bit bummed that she didn't tag along the first time. So Gailon and I decided that we would take her for her Christmas gift. So we decided to find the date closest to Christmas but before it, because it is closing in January and we will not be here after Christmas. Well, I chose Tuesday, December 23 because I am off from school and Gailon has a somewhat flexible schedule. Turns out that he is not feeling well so I am taking her alone. Mind you she doesn't know about this whole adventure, I just told her to be ready to go by 4.

We leave for the theater and there is tons of traffic, (in L.A at 4:30pm, really?) and I am not sure we will make it there by 6pm. Gailon calls me several times because the Bishop is there with three of the young women from the ward and he is getting nervous that we won't make it either!

(I digress, the Bishop gave the youth a challenge to read the Book of Mormon during the month of August with the Stake. If they chose to complete the challenge, he would take them to see Wicked. Be good for a Wicked reward, hmmmmm. At any rate, we were talking after the Ward Activity on Friday while sipping our yummy hot cocoa at Starbucks about the process for the lottery and discovered that we would be there at the same time, hence the calls and updates on the line...) Whew!

He calls Gailon one more time and tells him that there aren't any extra tickets for sale, you can only get in if you win the lottery tickets or pay $250 a ticket. OuCh!! At this point, we are about 2 miles from the exit in creeping traffic and it is 5:45. I change lanes, say a little prayer that we will make it, traffic lanes open, and we hemify it to the exit, get off the freeway, make it through the first green and then the next!

It is 5:50, Mom knows where we are going at this point, I explain to her the lottery process and have her jump out and get in line. I am looking for a quick parking spot (in front of a crowded theater, yes I was a bit crazy at the moment!!), and found a taxi loading zone that didn't "start" until 6pm! So, it is 5:57 and I throw mom's blue plackard up onto the mirror and run to put my name in. I get to the podium and the gentleman says" Ok folks! That is it, no more for the lottery! Let's pull some names!" I was the last "legal" name to go in! (A gentleman snuck in beside me and begged to put his name in too, and they did! Ah the Spirit of Christmas is alive and well).

They are only giving out 13 sets of tickets for the front row of the theater. They call about 6 names, none of us.

Then... "Kevin ______"! WaHoO!!!

Person number 8,

"Karen_______"!! No way!! Their group is in! I am so excited for them!!

Person ten.

Person eleven. My mom turns to me and says, "I hope they pick your name!"

"Sara Tucker! ArE YoU KiDdIng Me!!?!! All six of us are getting in!

What are the odds?









I purchase the tickets, we make our plans, and then I park the car in a much more secure place. We had a great time! I could easily go again and again! If we did not get tickets, we were going to take Mom to SLC to see it in April. Maybe we will anyway!!

Oh dear, I think that I am addicted to Wicked! Is there a thirteen step program?

5 comments:

Randi said...

What an amazing evening!!! I have the greatest children in the world. I was so "into" the moment that when Elphaba looked out at the house coming I actually looked over my shoulder to see what she was looking at. Thank you Gailon and Sara. It was a great surprise and wonderful evening. Made it even more special with all SIX of us getting in!

Shannon @ Lifelong Impressions said...

What a great adventure! Glad you were able to get in!!

Menjiness said...

OH MY HECK! Look at you and your mom!!!! You are beautiful

Presley family said...

Oh how fun!!! Randi told me about this when we ran into each other at Target. I know that it meant the world to her that you did!!! What a wonderful daughter and friend!!!

Nocella Clan said...

I love this story and can I just say, you are seriously the luckiest "Wicked" fan I know!!!! It's because your POPULAR...toss...toss

Snag a Button